13 April 2012
A fruit orchard for kids, summer camp at TwispWorks, live theatre in the park, a chamber music festival, a GPS unit, and a really smart dummy: what do they have in common? They’re all possible thanks to this year’s grant awards from The Methow Valley Fund.
The Methow Valley Fund recently awarded $42,800 to nonprofits across the Methow Valley. The Fund, managed by the Community Foundation of North Central Washington, was established to create a permanent endowment and use resources to support local arts, education, environment, and health and human services. Grants from the fund are distributed annually, and are used for general programs, special projects, start-up funding, small equipment, and other needs the nonprofits are helping to meet in the community. Since 2006, the Methow Valley Fund has awarded over $289,000 in local grants.
This year’s grant recipients and their awards are as follows (click on the organization to see more about their initiative):
- Aero Methow Rescue Service $3,000 – “Resusci Anne SkillReporter”, an adult CPR training mannequin used to improve the effectiveness of CPR skills of the healthcare provider, EMT, and lay responders
- Cascadia, Methow Music Association $1,500 – salary support salary for an office manager position
- Classroom in Bloom $1,250 – Planting a 10-tree fruit orchard adjacent to the current garden
- Confluence Gallery and Art Center $1,500 – Summer art programs for children ages 7-12 on the TwispWorks campus
- Family Planning Association of Chelan-Douglas Counties $5,000 – Salary and supplies to allow FPCD to take over management and administration of the Okanogan Family Planning Clinic located at Room One.
- Little Star Montessori $1,000 – Phase 1 of a website redesign
- Merc Playhouse -$1,550 – Summer “live theatre in the park” presentation of The Music Man
- Methow Arts $4,000 – Classroom residencies with professional teaching artists in the Methow Valley School District
- Methow Conservancy $900 – A handheld GPS unit
- Methow Music Festival Association $1,500 – Administrative and marketing support for the 16th Annual Methow Valley Chamber Music Festival, May-August 2012
- Methow Recycles $3,600 – Software, subscription fee, staff time, and training for donor and volunteer management system
- Methow Valley Community School $1,000 – Construction and initial inventory of Take-one/Return-One bag stands in local grocery stores
- Methow Valley Elementary School $2,500 – Science-based expeditions for 4th and 5th graders
- Methow Valley Interpretive Center $4,000 – Display lighting and two small, flat-screen, wall-mounted DVD players
- Methow Valley Nordic Team $1,000 – Coach’s Enrichment Program, focusing on safety
- Methow Valley School District $1,500 – Part-time college advisor for students at Liberty Bell, Methow Valley Independent Learning Center and Alternative High School
- Methow Valley School District $2,000 – Part-time counselor at the elementary school to provide direct services to students who suffer social and emotional trauma
- Methow Valley Sports Trails Association $2,000 – Trailhead Improvement Project at the Mazama Trailhead
- Room One $3,000 – Increase outreach with the public service announcements, community education, and constituency-building events
- TwispWorks $1,000 – Refurbish TwispWorks bunkhouse
For more information on the Methow Valley Fund, visit www.cfncw.org/grants.